Lean Construction Institute - Upper Midwest Community of Practice
A Lean Coffee
Date: Thursday, February 9, 2017
Time: 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
Location: The Weitz Company
Atria Office Building - Maple Conference Room
3033 Campus Drive
Plymouth, MN 55441
Surface parking and garage parking are available directly to the south of the Atria Building. Please enter through the building's main entry doors and you will see lobby signage directing you straight ahead to the conference room for the session.
Join us for a Lean Coffee to learn and support each other in our Lean endeavors! Take part in an open conversation in a safe, small and low-pressure environment about the topics that are relevant to our Lean community. We want to hear about the problems you are solving, the issues you want to solve, and lessons you’ve learned on your Lean Journey. No previous Lean experience is required.
Participants from cross functional roles as designers, constructors, owners, trades partners, and associations propose discussion topics around any subject about which they want to learn – THERE ARE NO IRRELEVANT DISCUSSION TOPICS! Each proposer takes 15 to 30 seconds to pitch their topic, written on a sticky note, to the group. Once all topics have been pitched, voting begins to establish a priority for discussing the topics. Topics are then ordered from highest to lowest votes and examined accordingly. Participants will receive 8 minutes of time to discuss the topic. After 8 minutes there will be a ‘thumbs up/ thumbs down’ to decide whether or not the discussion should continue. Thumbs up equals 4 more minutes on the clock. This happens until it is agreed that the topic has been discussed to satisfaction. Takeaways are considered and then the topic with the next largest amount of votes is addressed. Come as you are and be ready to learn!
Attendance is free!
Coffee and fruit will be provided
Please note the LEGO Serious Play event we had planned for February has been cancelled.
Therefore, we look forward to seeing you at our next lean coffee event on February 9th!
Remember that our January event was the best attended ever and included the following excellent content:
Commitments to Act:
Topic #1 – How to change company culture from “this is how we always do it (i.e. standard CAD process)” to “how can we consistently improve”?
- • Dave: Email everyone the Simon Sinek – Start With Why Video that was discussed
- • Terri: Show the Start With Why Video to her team
- • Denton: Develop a Lean Action Plan and join LCI
- • Gerry: Hold a “respect for people” meeting with one of his key team members
Topic #2 – How to implement lean (i.e. 2 second lean) into your office culture
- • Jake: Implement a Continuous Improvement topic into his weekly staff meeting
- •Thomas: Join LCI
- • ALL: Research/Read/Listen to Paul Akers 2 Second Lean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbL4LwmWAy0
- • Gerry: Introduce a lean culture topic into his mentor program
Plus / Delta Feedback:
- • Room/facility set-up were great
- • High attendance = best ever!!
- • Valued conversation
- • Written plus / delta were shared
- • New faces and “seasoned” faces
- • Core focus = respect for people
- • It was FUN!!!
- • The first ½ of the meeting was inefficient – evaluate improving introductions
- • Add your “role” to your intro, but keep “company” out of your intro
- • Add verbal summary of the lean coffee to the opening remarks
- • Encourage first time attendees to “simply listen – a.k.a. be the last to speak”
- • Listen more for the root cause of the discussion topics
- • The meeting started and ended “late” due to continued discussions
Registration for this event is closed.